Mount Vesuvius, Before
The Eruption AD 79
For years I haven't erupted, even though I could at any minute, because I am not an extinct volcano - I'm simply a dormant one! I keep rumbling from time to time and furthermore I always
wonder if I will erupt or not.
![]() |
| Imagine what some other characters in this scene might be saying. |
Mount Vesuvius, During
The Eruption AD 79
It is now happening! I
have been dormant for hundreds of years,
therefore I thought I might be turning extinct, but no, lava keeps pouring down the side of me. It turns out that I am
scary, extremely scary to the people living in the town of Pompeii, as they’re running
for their lives down there. I don't think all will survive! Let me tell you all
about my eruption process:
First of all, inside of
me, the Magma rises (if you didn’t already know Magma is molten rock inside of me) and because of
this, the Earth’s crust cracks so the lava can then flow up into the crater
through my main vent. After this, the pressure
builds up inside of me (so I feel very angry) and this causes lots of rumbling.
The pressure is released
from me and this makes my volcanic eruption.
I feel slightly relieved that the magma isn’t
inside of me anymore; as it is a bit painful. I like this feeling to be over
sooner rather than later.
Sometime later, my lava cools and a new crust is
created. These eruptions continue and the cooled
lava builds up and forms a new volcano.
As you know, I, Vesuvius,
am located in Italy however other volcanoes occur
in different countries and many help to make up the ‘Ring
Of Fire.’ Amazingly, some volcanoes are even formed under the sea and
those which are extremely violent and powerful can cause much destruction by
producing a tsunami. They are terrifying for anyone living near the coasts
which are affected!
Mount Vesuvius, Speaking
in The Present Day
What are those
destructive tourists doing? They are destroying every part of me and calling me a
tourist attraction! I have noticed that some of the mosaic tiles from the
ancient Roman streets which surround me have gone missing. Some tourists are
even making the tiring walk to the top of me, near my crater
to peer in and take some rocks from my surface with them as souvenirs. I
am gradually getting eroded away. I may get so angry that I will erupt on them
to teach them a lesson!

I really enjoyed reading Tamara's writing and imagining the real Mount Vesuvius. ( Georgette )
ReplyDeleteIn guided reading we are doing a text on Mount Vesuvius i really enjoyed reading Tamara's text it was extremely good
ReplyDelete